Ahh, the laundry room. It’s a place where we will be able to wash our clothes anytime of the day or night. No more having to worry about quarters. It’s the stuff that dreams are made of, or at least my dreams. Especially since we have purchased a beautiful pair of GE front loaders that we got on sale. Yay for us on finding the deal!
The only thing that stood between us and laundry bliss was this sink.
We weren’t fans of the cabinet and how heavy it felt in this room that is already short on floor space. It was located between the washer hookups and the toilet. The dryer hookup was actually on the other wall on the opposite side of the toilet. It’s not the ideal layout.
Also, there is a closet that was built around our boiler and hot water heater that takes up about half of the room.
To further complicate things, there is a third door that opens out to Mr. Sketch’s dog run. Obviously there is too much going on in this room, so the sink must come out for our washer and dryer to fit.
John and I, being the new homeowners that we are, know very little about plumbing. So we decided to take a lesson this time around and let my Dad show us how it’s done. After turning off the water and disconnecting the pipes from the sink, we removed the sink from the cabinet it sat on. But unfortunately, the sink didn’t want to leave us. It had been glued permanently to the cabinet and a box on the wall. So we had to break it. We had every intention of finding it a new home that could appreciate it more than we could. It just wasn’t meant to be and it was removed in two sad pieces.
We pulled out the cabinet, in one piece thankfully, and proceeded to cap off the water lines. We already had a hookup not more than 2 feet away. They were sticking out a little farther than they needed to be, so we sawed them back with a mini tube cutter.
Then we capped with end stops, and repeated the process for the drain. Tada! Plumbing done!
Now on to the electrical! Remember how we showed you that the dryer hookup was on the opposite wall? Well, the conduit actually ran past where the dryer will be, and behind the toilet.
First we turned off the electrical running to the dryer. Then the easy part was unscrewing the conduit from the wall and pulling it back to where the sink formerly sat. The tricky part turned out to be removing the wire from the conduit. Much like the sink, it also did not want to leave its home. Eventually with a lot of pulling and WD-40, we managed to pull it loose. Then the conduit was cut, and reattached to the wall in the proper location.
Now the laundry room looks like this:
Not bad for now, but we still have a long way to go. Soon we will take down the box and mirror to prepare for the laundry suite’s arrival. We will let you in on that later in the week. The next laundry / utility projects will be cutting new holes for the dryer vent and Sketch’s doggie door, replacing the utility closet, putting a sink under the window, and adding some shelving for organization. So this will have to be continued…