So we mentioned in our last post that we had big plans for the other side of the room. Well its probably more like long plans. We installed a custom 13 foot fauxdenza!
So what exactly is a fauxdenza you ask? Well for us it is a floating “credenza” made from wall-mounted IKEA cabinets, that is topped with a 13′ piece of sugar pine.
This project was actually a pretty easy one, it just took us some time.
The first thing we had to do was make a trip to IKEA in Charlotte to pick up our cabinets. We purchased 5 AKURUM 30″ x 15″ cabinets with HARLIG doors.
Initially, we really wanted the APPLAD, but there were only 2 left in stock. (Is everyone making a fauxdenza?) So we settled for the HARLIG style doors. In the end, it turned out to look pretty much the same, and cost us $70 less. Score!
The cabinets were super simple to assemble, and once John and I got an assembly line going, it took us maybe an hour to do all 5. After that, we both went into an IKEA induced coma. We woke up the next morning rested, ready and excited to find our wood top.
Our first stop was Home Depot, but we couldn’t find a piece of wood long enough. (That’s what she said.) So we optimistically ventured off to Lowe’s to see if they had something. Nope. Feeling pretty defeated, John and I sat in the car for a solid half an hour calling local lumber yards to see if they had what we needed.
Then we started reworking the plan. We thought that maybe planking the top might look nice and add extra detail. So we went back to Home Depot in an attempt to salvage the day. After looking at all of the wood options 50 times, we decided to head home empty handed.
At this point we thought it would be a good time to mount the cabinets. We needed to accomplish something to keep our spirits up and the project moving.
Feeling pretty satisfied with our work, we both knew that the original plan was the way to go. So we hopped in the car once more and headed to Raleigh to see what Capitol City Lumber had.
After 45 mins of sifting through lumber, we found a 16 foot piece of sugar pine.
Pine wasn’t what we were originally after, but it was long enough, not warped, and the right price. So we strapped it to the top of the car with 4 feet hanging off in both directions. It looked pretty funny, and I would have a picture of it but I managed to smack my head on the board and wasn’t really in a picture taking mood.
Finally, we had the last piece of our project. John broke out the circular saw and cut it down to size.
Then we sanded the whole thing on both sides and I gave it a coat of dark walnut stain.
Except it didn’t turn out the right color. It was supposed to be the same color as our recently refinished stairs, but it looked a little more espresso than walnut.
Thats when I remembered that we weren’t dealing with hardwood, and I didn’t condition the wood first. Whoops!
But after we put on 2 coats of Polycrylic, it really looked beautiful, and we forgot all about the Dark Walnut it was supposed to be. It also rained like crazy during this project, so we let it cure for 3 days to be safe.
5 days after we started the project we finally got to put the top on! The board bowed a little longways, and per suggestion of my mother (Moms are so smart) we made sure to place the bowed edges down.
John secured the board to the cabinets by drilling 10 – 1.5″ wood screws from the inside of the cabinet up through the board.
Aww yeah, now its fauxdenza time!
You may have noticed that on the back edge of the fauxdenza there are painted gold wood blocks.
This was our solution for creating a top large enough to cover the cabinets. Finding a piece of wood wide enough was not happening. It was difficult enough to find a piece long enough for our needs. But we think the gold adds a nice little accent that you can barely notice.
I also hemmed the curtains with with no-sew tape. It’s super easy, and if you want a tutorial, Sherry from YoungHouseLove has a great one. We also added those 2 stacked mirrors that we bought on our IKEA trip, to help bounce some more light throughout the room.
We still have a few more finishing touches to do in the bedroom, but for the most part we are really happy with how much cleaner and brighter it feels.