It’s official, I have jumped back into crafting again. I used to be quite the crafter, I even had an entire craft closet when I was growing up. I know you are totally jealous. In the last few years though, my attention has been focused more towards house projects. So to kick me back off on the craft train, I decided to make…..wait for it….a necklace organizer.
I’ve actually made one before when we lived in an apartment. It was made from some cardboard, wrapped with fabric and screw hooks. These were some things I just had around the apartment. I took that same thrifty tactic with this project and looked around the house to see if I could dig up some materials. I came up with some cardboard, a roll of cork, white acrylic paint, a picture frame, screw hooks and push pins.
My first step was to trace the backing board of the frame onto my cork and cardboard pieces, and cut them out. This was to make sure they would fit perfectly back into the frame. Then I hot glued the cork to the cardboard so my surface would be completely flat for painting.
Then I tested out a pattern on some scrap cork.
I went with a rough hexagon or honeycomb pattern to mimic the pattern on the pillows in our bedroom.
I felt pretty confident from my tester piece, so I just free handed it and then filled it in.
After it dried, I took some blue pushpins that I had around and used them as the hooks to hold the necklaces. Then I hung it in the bedroom.
After a few minutes, I realized that the weight of the necklaces was too much for the pushpins.
Also, it wasn’t really all that attractive. So I took the organizer down and searched the house for a different solution. After walking around in circles a few times, I came back with a glue gun, some small nails, and a necklace that I never wear.
I took apart part of the necklace so I could use the pretty blue beads, then I hot glued them to the end of the nails. This made a much more attractive and sturdy alternative to the pushpins I originally used. My technique for the nail heads was to place a decent dollop of glue on the end and let it dry. Then I went back with the hot tip of the glue gun to melt the glue just enough to attach the beads.
After all the nails we’re complete, I went back and doubled the thickness of the cardboard that sat behind the cork. This along with a glob of hot glue, secured the new nails into place.
I also used 2 screw hooks to hold the heavier necklaces just to be safe. Voila!
I’m so glad I went back and reinforced the organizer. Now I have no worries that my necklaces will stay on the hooks where they belong.