These stools came with the house. They were in decent condition and fairly comfortable so we never bought new ones. We thought the style was ok, but the gray frame with gray counter and gray wall was a little too…. gray for our taste.
So we decided to give the stools a little update with some spray paint and fabric. Here’s how we did it:
I started by removing the cushion and separating the seat from the base to ensure that we could do a thorough job with the paint. The only tool needed for disassembly was a screwdriver.
I toted all the parts outside to the carport and placed them on a fabric drop cloth. The surface of the stool frame was pretty slick, so I sanded the surface with some steel wool, then I wiped it all down with a rag and some vinegar to remove any dust.
Then I got my paint on! It took me 3 thin coats of paint applied 20 minutes apart. Nice even thin coats prevented the paint from dripping and running.
This is where we took a little chance. The paint should have had at least 12 hours to dry before use, but we brought them in after 5 hours. Don’t be like us, let them dry properly.
While the paint was drying, I moved on to recovering the seats. I purchased some upholstery fabric from Jo-Ann Fabric for 40% off. (BTW guys, Jo-Ann’s always has mobile coupons available on their website. There is no reason to ever pay full price!) I used half a yard of fabric and while it worked, it was a little too close for comfort. Give yourself at least 2 inches of wiggle room on the sides to cover the thickness of the cushion.
Then came the stapling. This is my favorite part. What can I say? I’m a girl who loves her staple gun. For this I used a standard staple gun and some T50 staples. I placed my fabric and cushion face down, with the cushion on top of the fabric.
I looked at the seat like a clock. I started at 6 o’clock, and pulled the fabric up and over tightly, being careful not to shift anything, and made my first staple. Then I went directly across to 12 o’clock and did the same.
I repeated this process at 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock, and then began to work my way around in between.
I did this by pinching some of the fabric between my fingers and then folding it over. Then I stapled the fold to keep it in place.
I repeated this all the way around the seat. This technique ensures that I apply even tension to fabric on all sides of the cushion. This keeps everything looking nice and smooth at the end.
After the fabric was securely in place, I finished by trimming off the excess.
The last step was to reassemble and admire our NEW old stools!
One more time with a before and after.
This was a pretty simple project and a really affordable one too.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Stools (came with the house): FREE
- Spray Paint for frame (1 can): $4.00
- Fabric for cushions (with 40% off coupon): $21.00
- Staples and Staple Gun (we already had them): FREE
TOTAL COST: $25.00
We are pretty happy to give these stools a new life and add some much needed personality to our kitchen.