Like many other people right now, I am loving succulents. I love how easy they are to keep alive and how sculptural they are in appearance. So I decided to carry this new love of mine into making some new coasters.
I started by browsing online for images of succulents that I could use for inspiration. After a short google image search later, I found these 4 illustrations.
Then I traced them onto a piece of vellum and cut them out.
Next, I cut 2 ounces off of the 8oz block polymer clay.
I rolled it out to a quarter of an inch, trying to keep it as circular as I could. As you can see in the picture, I used 2 pencils as my thickness guide. They kept me from rolling the clay unevenly and/or too thin.
After the clay was rolled out evenly, I laid the traced image on top.
I then used a stretched out bobby pin to trace the design through the paper and into the clay. The bobby pin allowed me to make an indention into the clay without damaging the paper on top. Since I was going to repeat this process 3 additional times, I wanted to preserve the drawing as best as I could.
Once the drawing of the succulent had been transferred, I cut off the excess clay and traced back over the indentions to make them a little deeper. Then it was time for baking.
I followed the package directions and baked the clay at 275 degrees for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
Thirty minutes later the clay came out ready to be painted and sealed. I painted on 2 coats of white acrylic paint to the white clay, letting it dry between each coat. Then I topped it off with some Sculpey satin glaze to make the coaster waterproof, and give it a little luster. For the gold ones, I just skipped the painting step and went right to the sealer.
I waited 24 hours for the paint and glaze to dry before I started the last step. The last step involved flipping the coaster over, so I needed the paint to be completely set.
For this final step, I took out a roll of cork and a mason jar. I traced out 4 circles that would fit but be hidden on the underside of the coasters.
I then cut out the circles and used my glue gun to adhere them to the bottoms.
Behold the finished product!
For the final product I made 2 coasters in white and 2 in gold.
Overall, I am happy how this simple nod to a beautiful plant turned out. However in retrospect, I would have gone back and smoothed out the edges a little more. I guess I was just too excited to finish them!